Acacia International School offers a world-class International and Zambian education. Our school consists of a dedicated Early Learning Centre for children from 18mths to 5 years, and a Primary School from Grades 1 to 7.
Early Learning Centre
Our dedicated Early Learning Centre (ELC) has qualified teachers and stimulating indoor and outdoor facilities. We have three classes: Playgroup (18mths to 3 years), Nursery (3 to 4 years) and Reception (4 to 5 years). We follow the UK’s Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), which promotes teaching and learning to ensure children’s ‘school readiness’ and gives children the broad range of knowledge and skills that provide the right foundation for good future progress.
Four guiding principles shape practice in the EYFS. These are:
- every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured;
- children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships;
- children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and there is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers; and
- children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates. The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities.
There are seven areas of learning and development that shape educational programmes in the EYFS. All areas of learning and development are important and inter-connected.
- communication and language;
- physical development;
- personal, social and emotional development;
- understanding the world; and
- expressive arts and design.
For more information about the Early Years Foundation Stage at Acacia International School, please download our Parents’ Guide.
You may also be interested in the booklet “What to Expect – Guidance to your child’s learning and development in the early years foundation stage”.
We follow the Cambridge Primary Curriculum and the Zambian National Curriculum. We take a cross-curricular, thematic approach, with specialist teachers for PE, Music and ChiTonga. Children in their final year have the opportunity to sit the Zambian Grade 7 exams. We have consistently excellent results at the Grade 7 National Exams, with 100% of entrants achieving a Division 1 pass. Our school leavers are enthusiastic, caring and responsible learners who progress to top secondary schools in Zambia, South Africa and the UK.
Cambridge Primary is an education programme for learners aged 5 to 11 years. Cambridge Primary develops learners’ skills and understanding through the primary years in English, mathematics and science. Cambridge Primary is a great place to start the learning journey. Cambridge Primary enables learners to build their knowledge and skills progressively, through each year of the programme. It is an excellent preparation for Cambridge Secondary 1, and for progression to other educational systems. With the Cambridge programme, your child is joining a community of learners from more than 1000 schools in over 160 countries.
The Cambridge approach develops learners who are:
- confident in working with information and ideas, their own and those of others
- responsible for themselves,responsive and respectful of others
- reflective as learners themselves, developing their ability to learn
- innovative and equipped for new and future challenges
- engaged intellectually and socially,and ready to make a difference in the world
For more information on the Cambridge Primary Curriculum, please download the Parents’ Guide.